Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/

Your News. Your World.

Your News. Your World.

Buy Now
Close

Search

Sports

Ebola crisis halts DR Congo World Cup training camp

By Admin_MyNewsHQ
May 21, 2026 2 Min Read
0
Spread the love

The Democratic Republic of the Congo has called off its national football team’s pre-World Cup training camp in Kinshasa after an Ebola outbreak in the country’s east.

The squad will now continue preparations in Belgium as authorities respond to the health crisis, which has reportedly caused more than 130 deaths.

The World Health Organization (World Health Organization) has declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern,” while stressing it is not classified as a pandemic.

A team spokesperson, Jerry Kalemo, said friendly matches in Europe will go ahead as planned. The team is preparing for its first World Cup appearance since 1974.

DR Congo national football team is scheduled to face Denmark national football team in Belgium on 3 June and Chile national football team in Spain on 9 June.

Officials also said the Kinshasa camp was cancelled due to travel restrictions linked to the United States, one of the World Cup hosts alongside Mexico and Canada. The US public health authorities have barred entry to non-citizens who have recently been in DR Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan.

All players, along with head coach Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the country, meaning the restrictions are not expected to affect the squad now the local camp has been scrapped.

The planned Kinshasa event was expected to draw fans and officials, including President Félix Tshisekedi, according to reports.

Kinshasa lies about 1,800 km from Ituri province in the east, where the outbreak began. No cases have been reported in the capital.

Health officials are still working with two different figures. The World Health Organization reported 139 deaths from about 600 suspected cases, while Congo’s health ministry told state broadcaster RTNC that 159 deaths had been recorded.

The outbreak is caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. There is currently no approved vaccine for this variant, and the WHO says development could take up to nine months.

About The Author

Admin_MyNewsHQ

See author's posts

Tags:

DRCWorld Cup
Author

Admin_MyNewsHQ

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

After a decade in power, Patrice Talon leaves a divided legacy in Benin

Next

Uba Sani approves nearly ₦1bn for workers’ entitlements

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World

CoverNews Pro

A PREMIUM MULTIPURPOSE NEWS THEME

Purchase Now

AF themes

https://mynewshq.live/

Recent Posts

  • A relative of Khamenei is openly seeking to recruit forces to transition from the Islamic Republic to an Islamic government
  • Congo isolates 200 river boat passengers as Ebola response intensifies
  • DR Congo’s case against Rwanda moves ahead as World Court sets timetable
  • Talon returns to frontline politics as Benin’s first Senate president
  • Osun Account Freeze: ADC Rejects Presidency’s Court Order Claim, Alleges Executive Interference

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World
Copyright 2026 — . All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by