Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/

Your News. Your World.

Your News. Your World.

Buy Now
Close

Search

Nigeria

FG condemns killing of two Nigerians in South Africa, demands Justice

By Adewumi Ayodele
July 6, 2026 2 Min Read
0
Spread the love

The Federal Government has condemned the killing of Nigerian nationals in South Africa and called for thorough investigations to ensure those responsible are brought to justice.

In a statement issued on Sunday by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, the government expressed concern over the safety of Nigerians and other foreign nationals in South Africa following recent incidents of violence.

According to the ministry, one of the victims, Emeka Charles Iroegbu, was allegedly killed by officers of the Tshwane Metro Police in Sunnyside, Pretoria, on June 28, 2026.

The ministry also recalled the death of another Nigerian, Nnaemeka Mathew Andrew Ekpenyong, who was allegedly killed on April 20, 2026. It said no arrests had been made in connection with the case despite reports that the identities of the officers involved were known to the South African Police Service.

The statement further said another Nigerian, Musa Yunana Joe, popularly known as Big Joe, was shot dead in front of his shop in Witbank, Mpumalanga, on June 28 by unidentified gunmen.

The Federal Government said the incidents had heightened concerns over the safety of Nigerians living in South Africa and urged the authorities to investigate the killings and other unresolved cases involving Nigerian citizens.

It also expressed concern over a recent televised statement attributed to a South African government spokesperson, who reportedly asked Nigerians leaving the country because of anti-foreigner protests to disclose where illegal drugs were hidden.

The ministry described the reported remarks as unacceptable, warning that public statements capable of stereotyping an entire community could inflame tensions.

It also criticised groups accused of inciting hostility against foreign nationals and called on South African authorities to address hate speech and violence directed at migrants.

The Federal Government reiterated that all criminal allegations should be handled through lawful processes and that every suspect is entitled to a fair hearing.

It sympathised with the families of the deceased and pledged to continue diplomatic engagement with the South African government to seek justice.

The ministry advised Nigerians residing in South Africa to remain calm, law-abiding and security conscious, urging them to avoid areas prone to violence and relocate to safer neighbourhoods where necessary while diplomatic efforts continue.

It also noted that South African citizens and businesses continue to operate freely in Nigeria, stressing that South Africa has a responsibility to protect all persons lawfully residing within its borders, irrespective of nationality.

The government warned that it would continue to monitor developments and consider appropriate diplomatic measures if attacks against Nigerians persist, while urging Nigerians at home to refrain from retaliatory actions and allow diplomatic channels to address the situation.

About The Author

Adewumi Ayodele

See author's posts

Tags:

NigeriaSouth Africa
Author

Adewumi Ayodele

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

One dead as Police rescue kidnapped Ekiti CAC worshippers

Next

Xenophobic attacks: Senate declines calls for FG to take over MTN, DStv

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World

CoverNews Pro

A PREMIUM MULTIPURPOSE NEWS THEME

Purchase Now

AF themes

https://mynewshq.live/

Recent Posts

  • A relative of Khamenei is openly seeking to recruit forces to transition from the Islamic Republic to an Islamic government
  • Congo isolates 200 river boat passengers as Ebola response intensifies
  • DR Congo’s case against Rwanda moves ahead as World Court sets timetable
  • Talon returns to frontline politics as Benin’s first Senate president
  • Osun Account Freeze: ADC Rejects Presidency’s Court Order Claim, Alleges Executive Interference

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World
Copyright 2026 — . All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by