Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/

Your News. Your World.

Your News. Your World.

Buy Now
Close

Search

Top Stories

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

By Admin_MyNewsHQ
May 16, 2026 2 Min Read
0
Spread the love

The Presidency has dismissed claims that Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, the senior Islamic State leader eliminated in a joint Nigeria-United States military operation, had been killed in a previous operation, insisting that earlier reports linking his name to a 2024 strike were a case of mistaken identity.

The clarification came from Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, amid growing public scepticism over the authenticity of the operation, which was announced by US President Donald Trump on Friday night.

Onanuga, on Saturday, in a post shared on X, acknowledged that Al-Manuki’s name had appeared on lists of suspected ISWAP commanders reportedly killed in 2024 during operations around the Birnin Gwari forest axis in Kaduna State, but said security officials had since established that the earlier listing was a misattribution.“

Security officials now clarify that the earlier listing was a case of mistaken identity or misattribution in the fog of sustained counterinsurgency operations.

Importantly, intelligence now confirms that the Birnin Gwari theatre was never within Al-Manuki’s established operational sphere, which negates the accuracy of the earlier assessment,” Onanuga said.

He said the latest operation was the product of months of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance efforts, backed by communications monitoring and phone intercepts that reportedly began as far back as December 2025.

According to Onanuga, security officials had initially sought to capture Al-Manuki alive, which explained why he was placed under surveillance across multiple locations, including Abuja and Maiduguri, in the days leading up to the final strike.

“Officials maintain that multiple layers of verification were applied before authorisation of the final kinetic action, making this operation distinct from earlier incidents in which battlefield assessments later required revision.“In their assessment, ‘this time, there is no ambiguity’,” he added.He added that authorities were “100 per cent certain” of the target’s identity this time.

Critics have pointed to past cases in global counterterrorism where high-value targets like Abubakar Shekau were wrongly declared killed, only to resurface later.

About The Author

Admin_MyNewsHQ

See author's posts

Author

Admin_MyNewsHQ

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

APC Tickets: Govs, aspirants at war over alleged imposition

Next

Okojie clinches Edo APC Rep return ticket unopposed

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World

CoverNews Pro

A PREMIUM MULTIPURPOSE NEWS THEME

Purchase Now

AF themes

https://mynewshq.live/

Recent Posts

  • A relative of Khamenei is openly seeking to recruit forces to transition from the Islamic Republic to an Islamic government
  • Congo isolates 200 river boat passengers as Ebola response intensifies
  • DR Congo’s case against Rwanda moves ahead as World Court sets timetable
  • Talon returns to frontline politics as Benin’s first Senate president
  • Osun Account Freeze: ADC Rejects Presidency’s Court Order Claim, Alleges Executive Interference

Categories

Africa Americas Banditry Blogging Tips Business Business & Economy Central Africa Climate Creative Culture Design East Africa Education Elections Entertainment Europe Finance Food Football Forex Inspiration Investments Lifestyle Middle East Military Music News Nigeria Nigeria Politics North America Photography Politics Science & Space Secondary Education Security Southern Africa Sports Table Tennis Technology Terrorism Top Stories Travel West Africa World
Copyright 2026 — . All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by